Thursday, January 20, 2011

Starting to play with yeast

So, as a proof-in-concept, I boiled about 500ml water, with 2 oz light dry malt extract, and 1/4tsp yeast nutrient.


I poured this mix into a sterilized flask (along with a sterilized magnetic stirbar)  and let it cool to ~75.

Finally, I poured in the sediment off the bottom of 2 freshly opened, and poured Sierra Nevada Pale ales, and slapped on an airlock.

I've been mixing up the sediment every few hours to keep as much of it in suspension as possible.

Its been 24 hours, and things are looking promising. The airlock is full of gas, I can see tiny bubbles rising inside the liquid, and it smells pretty much like yeast in the airlock.

Im very curious to see if I can get a reasonable batch of yeast to grow from this tiny sample. I don't know if I'll actually use it in one of my beers, for now, I'm just playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment